You can’t walk, run or play sports with ankle pain. It limits your mobility and upends your daily routine. Now there are effective non-surgical treatment options for eliminating your ankle pain and healing your ankle joint. After an exam, the top pain management specialist in New York offers a steroid injection for ankle pain that’s safe, effective and takes minutes to administer. Or try a platelet-rich plasma or PRP ankle injection. Visit advanced pain management with the latest technology available to ease your pain.
An ankle injection is often the only course of treatment short of surgery that can address your ankle pain. When you’ve suffered an ankle injury, your ankle joint becomes weak and unstable. Walking and other simple tasks cause a shooting pain. Your quality of life is greatly diminished with an ankle injury.
Often, ankle injuries aren’t just about your ankle; the pain comes with swelling around the joint as well. Ankle pain has many causes in addition to injury, such as:
- Achilles tendonitis
- Plantar fasciitis
- Perineal tendonitis
- Wear and tear or osteoarthritis
- Reflex sympathetic dystrophy
- A pinched nerve or herniated disc in your lower spine
- Sciatica or sacroiliac joint dysfunction, which can send pain to your feet
Diagnosing the exact cause of your ankle pain is required before you undergo any treatment, such as a steroid injection in your ankle. Your pain management doctor from the best pain clinic in Manhattan may order some tests to see how severely your ankle is injured. An ankle injection may be the recommended course. Visit pain relief center for an examination and a consultation to learn your treatment options.
A Range of Ankle Injection Options
The type of ankle injection you get depends on the type of ankle injury you have. Your injury doctor performs a complete physical examination to determine what’s causing the pain in your ankle. Your pain control clinic offers several types of injections to treat the ankle pain, including:
- Steroid injections in the ankle. These cortisone injections contain man-made hormones found in the body. They reduce swelling and inflammation, relieving some of the pressure on your ankle bones. As the swelling subsides, your pain diminishes. Any side effects from a cortisone injection in the ankle are minimal when a qualified NYC pain management doctor administers the injection.
- PRP ankle injection. Platelet-rich plasma comes from your own blood. The platelets are extracted and purified. Then they’re injected into the area of your pain. Platelets not only reduce your pain and swelling, but also heal your damaged ankle. A PRP ankle injection works on your tendons, cartilage, ligaments and joints, whether injured or diseased. It’s also shown promise for those suffering from arthritis in the ankle.
- Hyaluronic acid injections. This naturally-occurring gel-like substance lubricates your ankle joint, helping it move more smoothly. With age, you lose hyaluronic acid in your joints. The injections replace the lost volume.
A back pain specialist in Midtown usually recommends physical therapy along with the ankle injections. As the injections reduce your pain, they allow you to move freely again. The focus for your exercises stays on your lower back and legs, strengthening the muscles and increasing mobility. As you progress, you can prevent future ankle injuries.
Ankle Injection Procedure
You can do the non-surgical treatment in the comfortable office of your pain doctor. Pain Management NYC is one of the most advanced pain management centers in New York. You start by lying on your back. Sometimes, a rolled towel is placed underneath to lift your ankle slightly.
Your doctor sterilizes the target area. Top ankle pain management specialist in NYC often use a local anesthesia to numb the area so that you don’t feel any discomfort during the actual injection, but most people tolerate it well. For most types of injection for pain in your ankle, your pain management doctor mixes in some mild anesthetic with the steroid injection for ankle pain. The anesthetic kills pain almost immediately, while the steroid medication takes time to work.
Aftercare for Your Ankle Injection
For best results, your doctor may recommend complete rest for a couple of days to allow your ankle to heal. A few days after having an ankle injection treatment, you may feel your ankle pain return. It may even seem worse than before. This is normal the pain will subside again after a few days. When it does, the painkilling effect can last up to several months. In the meantime, you can ice the area to ease the pain.
You can get up to three steroid injections a year. If you let your ankle heals properly and you do the required exercises, your ankle may be as good as new in time. Ankle pain, foot pain, and knee pain require more time to heal because they’re weight-bearing joints. So don’t delay. Contact Pain Management NYC for a full examination, an accurate diagnosis and the appropriate treatment to get back to your active lifestyle.
Boleslav Kosharskyy, MD, is a top-rated, best-in-class interventional pain management doctor. He is board-certified in Anesthesiology, Interventional Pain Medicine, and Palliative Care.
Dr. Kosharskyy is an Associate Professor of Anesthesiology and Rehabilitation Medicine at Albert Einstein Medical College. He’s also the Associate Medical Director of Pain Medicine and Director of Anesthesia for the Joint Replacement Center at Montefiore Medical Center and Albert Einstein Medical College.
He is an active member of the American Society of Anesthesiology (ASA), the American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine (ASRA), and the New York State Society of Anesthesiologists (NYSSA)