Home » Elbow Pain Treatment in NYC | Elbow Doctors Specialists
Elbow Pain Treatment in NYC | Elbow Doctors Specialists
You may have a difficult time explaining just where the pain in your elbow comes from because the joint has so many connective tissues. It’s a complex joint that moves in many directions. You need a top-rated pain doctor who relies on advanced diagnostic equipment and the latest in treatment options. The doctors at Pain Management in NYC employ a multidisciplinary approach to elbow pain to find just the combination of treatments for your specific cause.
The common culprit for your elbow pain is overuse and repetitive motions from work, sports or hobbies. Your elbow is less susceptible to arthritis than your other joints. Injuries from a direct blow can cause bone spurs or fractures. If you hurt your elbow, seek injury treatment soon.
A complex joint, your elbow provides a wide range of movement, like reaching for things and bringing them closer. It also lets you rotate your hand and forearm. Because your elbow has so many moving parts, it’s not always easy to determine the exact place or cause of your pain. Rely on the pain management specialists with the most advanced diagnostic equipment at the pain center NYC.
Causes of Elbow Pain
Many actions or conditions can contribute to your elbow pain, such as:
- Joint inflammation commonly called bursitis
- Golfer’s elbow, known as medial epicondylitis, which is a repetitive motion injury
- An inflammatory joint disease called rheumatoid arthritis
- Sprains from stretching or tearing of the ligaments
- Broken bones
- Tennis elbow, or lateral epicondylitis, another repetitive motion injury
- Injuries that result from throwing motions like baseball pitchers
- Cubital tunnel syndrome, when you stretch or put too much pressure on your ulnar nerve
Diagnosing Your Elbow Pain
Following a thorough exam, your NYC pain management doctor may order lab tests by extracting blood or joint fluid to determine if there are infections or markers for a specific disease, such as rheumatoid arthritis. If crystals are found in your joint fluid, you may have issues with gout.
Imaging tests may also help your doctor determine an exact diagnosis. Fractures, bone spurs or other abnormalities can be seen on x-rays, MRIs or CT scans. Bone scans also help give a clearer picture of soft tissue damage, cartilage irregularities or stress fractures.
Symptoms and Treatment for Elbow Pain
At the beginning of most treatment plans, unless there is an obvious broken bone or underlying cause, your doctor begins with the least invasive options available. You will first try rest and behavior modifications. Once your doctor uncovers the source of your discomfort, treatment can begin, depending on your symptoms. Diagnoses and treatments include:
- Golf elbow is not strictly relegated to golfers; it’s also common in weightlifters and construction workers. It’s inner elbow pain that extends through your forearm to your wrists and hands causing stiffness, numbness, tingling, and weakness. Medial epicondylitis pain can be sudden or gradual. Treatment usually means you have to stop doing the motions that cause the pain. Ice the inflammation until the swelling subsides.
- Repetitive motion disorder that includes, elbow tendonitis, cubital tunnel syndrome, and lateral epicondylitis can happen from suddenly while lifting something heavy or from repeating the same motions over and over. The pain hits the outer side of your elbow joint and also may extend down your arm. Treatments may include splinting, although movement is necessary to prevent elbow freezing. Injections of corticosteroids are part of tennis elbow treatment to ease pain as your heal.
- Elbow injuries. There are instances when you need to seek emergency help at Pain Management NYC. If you notice any obvious injury, go to your nearest Emergency Room. If you can’t move your elbow normally or notice bruising, swelling and severe pain, call your pain doctor in New York right away. If your pain continues after home treatment or the redness and swelling increases, schedule an office visit as soon as you can. Emergency appointments are available.
Additional Treatment for Elbow Pain
Under the guidance of the best NYC elbow pain management specialists, you can take steps to continue healing and prevent further treatments. Recommendations for interventional treatment may include:
- Treating inflammation with ice or cold packs several times a day
- Wearing compression bandages to support, protect, and reduce inflammation
- Elevating your arm to help reduce swelling
- Taking over-the-counter or prescription pain relievers and anti-inflammatories
- Taking medications to treat an underlying condition, such as gout or rheumatoid arthritis
- Following a physical therapy routine to restore strength
- Protecting your elbow with pads and other equipment to avoid further injuries
- Getting an corticosteroid injection to stop the ache and inflammation
Frequently Asked Questions
What does physical therapy for elbow pain entail?
Physical therapy helps restore the function of the elbow, activate blood circulation in the problem area, and stimulate the formation of synovial liquid. Static exercises for stretching and strengthening the muscles of the arm are recommended. Regular exercise eliminates muscle imbalance and prevents further damage. The right technique helps strengthen tendons and span muscles. Treating elbow pain with physical therapy methods gradually involves the following improvements:
- The movement range, physical performance, and muscle strength of the arm are restored
- Elbow pain is significantly reduced
- Prevention of muscle atrophy
Before undergoing any kind of treatment, make sure to consult a specialist in the field of elbow pain treatment.
When should you see a doctor for elbow pain?
Elbow pain may be successfully treated with self-help methods. However, you should consult your physiotherapist, if after two weeks of self-treatment the pain doesn’t go away. Arrange a meeting with your physiotherapy specialist if you have tingling, weakness, and numbness in your arm. Emergency cases include:
- Severe pain, swelling, fever, redness, and inability to move your arm
- You suspect that your elbow could be fractured
How to heal elbow pain?
Conservative treatment of elbow pain includes:
- Anti-inflammatory drugs
- Elbow immobilization
- Ebow padding
- Physical exercises
- Steroid injections
Cold ice helps relieve the pain. Your physiotherapist prescribes suitable drugs and exercises that strengthen your muscles and tendons. In some cases, manual therapy, acupuncture, or shock-wave therapy is used. The most severe cases are treated surgically.
Contact the nationally recognized pain doctors at Pain Management NYC to improve your chances of a complete recovery. Regain the use of your elbow while eliminating the aggravating pain.
With our help, you can
LIVE A PAIN FREE LIFE
"Experienced doctors & best treatments you need for a successful recovery"