Find the best treatment for chronic headaches in New York City when the pain begins to interfere with your ability to perform everyday tasks, sleep, work without interruption and play effectively. Find top-notch chronic headache treatment in New York at Pain Management NYC. An exceptional chronic headache specialist diagnoses your symptoms and creates the most effective chronic headache treatment plan for you.
What Are Chronic Headaches?
Chronic headaches involve head pain that occurs frequently, at least 15 days per month for three months or longer.
Headaches come in many different types, such as:
- Tension headaches
- Cluster headaches
- Hemicrania continua, a persistent headache that may hit just one side of your head or face
Chronic headaches affect your physical, mental and emotional well-being, making it hard to work, socialize and enjoy life. They may also lead to depression, anxiety and other health problems. Find the best treatment for chronic headaches at Pain Management NYC, a medical practice with chronic headache specialists who offer the most advanced chronic headache treatments in New York City.
These medical professionals employ a comprehensive and personalized approach to diagnose and treat headaches. They rely on a combination of interventional procedures, regenerative therapies, infusion treatments and complementary therapies. Your treatment is targeted to your needs.
What Causes Chronic Headaches?
The exact cause of chronic headaches varies from person to person, and sometimes it may not be clear. One of the major causes is the activation of the trigeminal nerve, a major nerve that sends sensory information from the head and face to the brain.
Another cause is muscle tension in the head and neck, which is caused by stress, bad posture or eye strain. Hormonal changes, such as those that occur during menstruation, pregnancy or menopause also cause chronic headaches.
Other causes include:
- Genetics, which influence your susceptibility to certain types of headaches, especially migraines
- Overuse of pain medication, which leads to rebound headaches or medication-overuse headaches
- Other medical conditions, such as inflammation or problems with the blood vessels in the brain, sinus infections or brain tumors
Infections and neurological problems can lead to chronic headaches too. Your doctor may order further diagnostic tests such as MRI or CT scans to determine if you suffer from nerve pain or nerve damage in the form of:
Neuropathies that create issues in the nerve signals also can lead to debilitating headaches that just won’t go away with over-the-counter medicine.
Common neuropathies that lead to the need for chronic headache specialists include:
What Are the Risk Factors for Chronic Headaches?
Some of the possible factors that increase your risk of developing chronic headaches include stress. Stress triggers or worsens headaches by activating the trigeminal nerve. In addition to carrying nerve sensations from your face to your brain, it also controls some of the muscles involved in chewing. It has three branches: the ophthalmic, the maxillary and the mandibular nerve. Triggering it causes muscle tension or affects your hormones.
Lack of sleep or poor sleep quality also increases vulnerability to chronic headaches. Sleep deprivation affects your brain chemistry, immune system and pain perception, making you more prone to headaches.
Other risk factors include:
- Skipping meals or fasting. Not eating regularly causes low blood sugar, dehydration and hunger that trigger headaches.
- Drinking alcohol and caffeine. Alcohol, especially red wine, causes headaches by dilating your blood vessels, dehydrating you or triggering an allergic reaction. Caffeine also causes headaches by constricting your blood vessels, altering your brain activity or causing withdrawal symptoms.
- Consuming certain foods and additives. Some foods, such as processed meats, cheese, chocolate and citrus fruits, contain substances that trigger headaches, such as nitrates, tyramine, phenylethylamine or histamine. Some additives, such as monosodium glutamate (MSG), aspartame and artificial colors, also cause headaches by affecting your nervous system or causing an allergic reaction.
- Overusing medication. Taking pain relievers too often or in high doses causes rebound headaches or medication-overuse headaches, which are more difficult to treat and often become chronic.
- Certain medical conditions. High blood pressure, diabetes, thyroid problems or infections cause or worsen headaches by affecting your blood vessels, nerves, hormones or immune system, leading to a need for chronic headache treatments.
What’s the Best Treatment for Chronic Headaches?
Pain Management NYC offers a comprehensive and personalized approach to chronic headache treatment. They evaluate your condition, identify your triggers and recommend the best treatment for chronic headaches for you. They also provide ongoing support and follow-up care to ensure your optimal outcome.
The best treatment for chronic headaches depends on the type, cause and severity of your pain, as well as your personal preferences and medical history. Your chronic headache specialist uses a combined approach to ensure they also manage the underlying cause of chronic headaches.
The treatments offered include:
- Medication. The first line of treatment includes medications, such as antidepressants, beta blockers, anti-seizure drugs, NSAIDs and triptans. A nerve block also may be recommended to deal with your specific nerve pain.
- Botox injections. Botox is a toxin that blocks the nerve signals that cause muscle contractions. It’s injected into specific areas of the head and neck to reduce the frequency and intensity of chronic migraines. Botox injections are usually given every 12 weeks.
- Non-pharmacologic therapies. These are therapies that don’t involve drugs, such as relaxation techniques, cognitive behavioral therapy, acupuncture, osteopathic manipulation and cervical exercises. These therapies help reduce stress, improve blood flow and enhance your coping skills, which all contribute to reducing chronic headaches.
Why Choose Pain Management NYC for Chronic Headache Treatments?
At Pain Management NYC, you find the best solution for your chronic headaches and improve your quality of life. This medical practice has a team of board-certified pain specialists who offer the latest and most advanced pain management treatments in New York City.
Pain Management NYC is the ideal medical provider for chronic headache treatments because:
- They have a multidisciplinary team of experts, including physical therapists, neurologists and spine surgeons, who provide you with the best care and support for your condition.
- They are in-network with most insurances and offer flexible payment options for your convenience.
- They have received numerous awards and recognitions for their excellence and innovation in pain management.
Don’t let chronic headaches disrupt your life. Contact Pain Management NYC today to schedule an appointment with a chronic headache specialist and start your journey to pain relief.
Boleslav Kosharskyy, MD, is a top-rated, best-in-class interventional pain management doctor. He is board-certified in Anesthesiology, Interventional Pain Medicine, and Palliative Care.
Dr. Kosharskyy is an Associate Professor of Anesthesiology and Rehabilitation Medicine at Albert Einstein Medical College. He’s also the Associate Medical Director of Pain Medicine and Director of Anesthesia for the Joint Replacement Center at Montefiore Medical Center and Albert Einstein Medical College.
He is an active member of the American Society of Anesthesiology (ASA), the American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine (ASRA), and the New York State Society of Anesthesiologists (NYSSA)