Home » Rotator Cuff Injury Treatment NYC | Shoulder Pain Doctors Specialists
Rotator Cuff Injury Treatment NYC | Shoulder Pain Doctors Specialists
Although you rarely think about the mechanics involved in ordinary everyday activities, you suddenly notice when they become painful. Your rotator cuff can severely limit your shoulder flexibility when it’s damaged. The most effective treatment for a rotator cuff injury starts with a careful exam performed at the best pain clinic in Midtown: Pain Management NYC. You receive personalized service from nationally recognized pain doctors who know the best treatment for rotator cuff injury.
Your shoulder joint — and the accompanying bones and socket — are held in place by a set of muscles and tendons known as the rotator cuff. When you injure these soft tissues, they produce a constant dull ache that intensifies when you lay on your injured side. Risk factors for rotator cuff injury include age and repetitive motions, especially overhead motions. Hobbies or jobs that require constant reaching often aggravate the wear-and-tear that precedes the need for rotator cuff injury treatment.
If a single incident injures your shoulder, seek medical help as quickly as possible in case a rotator cuff tear requires surgery or other more aggressive treatment. Doctors at the top injury pain clinic in Manhattan are available for emergency appointments.
Causes of a Rotator Cuff Injury
Progressive deterioration from repetitive activities and wear-and-tear over time are the most common causes of a rotator cuff injury. Certain risk factors increase the chance of developing the need for treatment for a rotator cuff injury, including:
- A family history of rotator cuff injury, which may be an indication of structural abnormalities or a weakened system in your shoulder
- Age, as a rotator cuff injury occurs more often in individuals older than 40
- Certain jobs — such as construction, carpentry or painting — since they may aggravate the normal wear-and-tear of your rotator cuff
- Highly repetitive motions in sports — such as archery, tennis and baseball (particularly pitchers) — which can cause tears requiring rotator cuff injury treatment
If you suspect a rotator cuff injury, seek treatment right away. Although it’s part of the recovery process to rest injured tissue, keeping the shoulder completely immobile can stiffen ligaments or reduce muscle strength and lead to a weakened or permanently stiffened joint.
Symptoms Requiring Treatment for a Rotator Cuff Injury
The symptoms of a rotator cuff injury can be a bit varied, but usually include:
- Weakness in the adjoining arm, making lifting or grasping objects difficult
- Shoulder pain, stiffness and weakness when lifting your arm over your head or reaching behind your back
- A dull, aggravating ache deep inside your shoulder
- Disturbed sleep, since it’s often uncomfortable to rest on your injured side
Knowing how to complete careful strengthening and stretching exercises can keep your shoulder loose while it heals. Talk to your pain doctor at Pain Management NYC to get the best advice so your shoulder heals completely.
Diagnosis of a Rotator Cuff Injury
Your injury doctor in New York relies on the most advanced diagnostic tools to determine the extent of your rotator cuff injury. While conducting a physical exam, your pain specialist may move your arm in different positions or press on key areas while testing the strength of your shoulder and arm muscles. Occasionally, he may order imaging tests such as an ultrasound, MRI or x-ray to determine if there are physical abnormalities that may be the source of your discomfort.
Tests and imaging are used to get the clearest picture possible of your injury or condition. Knowing what activities aggravate your pain and what provides relief help your doctor develop the best treatment plan for your rotator cuff injury.
What Is the Best Treatment for a Rotator Cuff Injury?
The best pain specialists in NYC in Midtown always start with the most conservative treatment options possible. These include rest, moderated activity and possibly over-the-counter pain relievers, along with hot and cold packs for inflammation and pain. More severe injuries require rotator cuff injury treatments that include:
- Physical therapy. PT restores flexibility and strengthens your supporting muscles. While this is often a first-round treatment, it’s also used for recovery from surgery.
- Muscle and joint injections. Injections can block pain, reduce inflammation and help unfreeze locked tissue. These are especially useful if the pain is affecting your sleep or daily activities.
- Minimally invasive surgery may be necessary if you have a complete tear in the tendons or ligaments making up your rotator cuff. There are several kinds of surgery, which your pain doctor can explain to you when you’ve reached the last resort.
If you have a tear in your rotator cuff, surgery may be your best treatment option. Shoulder surgery can repair or replace damaged tissue, allowing you to return to an active lifestyle and pain-free sleep. Contact the best interventional pain doctors today, regarding your rotator cuff injury.
DISCLAIMER: PLEASE READ CAREFULLYThe information on this website is to provide a general information. In no way does any of the information provided reflect a definitive treatment advice. It is important to consult a best in class pain management specialist in NYC regarding ANY questions or issues. A thorough evaluation should ALWAYS be performed for an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan. Be sure to call your pain doctor in Manhattan, to schedule a consultation.
With our help, you can
LIVE A PAIN FREE LIFE
"Experienced doctors & best treatments you need for a successful recovery"